Felony was yet another long term shelter resident with a biting problem, made even worse because she freaked out when she was scruffed and bit harder. Felony was also terrified of other ferrets, and would attack any that came near. Elayne and I took Felony home for some extra attention and care so she would calm down and find a good home. She did. It took several months of working with Felony to get her over the biting habit, and now she simply will not bite, not even when rough housing or hand wrestling (one friend did manage to get bit by try to put a diaper on Felony, but it was a very gentle nip and scout admitted that she had it coming). We were weak and we kept Felony for ourselves.

Felony had been plagued with liver and kidney problems which was not responding to traditional veterinary care. We thought we would lose her (she was so yellow) so in desperation we took Felony to a naturalpathic vet, who put her on a special diet and herbal prescription for several months. Felony responded wonderfully and recovered to full health! Felony also had a large nasty tumor on her tail that was removed, leaving her with a poodle style hair cut on her tail until her fur grew back.

Felony was an only ferret in our house for a long time, and she still lives by herself, but at playtimes I take her out with the Hogan group, with whom she gets along reasonably well when supervised.

You haven't lived until you've had Felony wash your face!

Felony is still with us and still going strong and is our only ferret allowed to enter the "forbidden closet" upstairs.

Felony's health has begun to decline, and a blood test in October of 1999 has revealed many problems. Felony is losing weight and seems unable to obtain enough nutrition to maintain her weight no matter how much she eats. Felony is still our adorable little girl, and we take her for walks in the park, although she now mostly stays in her pouch as we walk around and she sniffs the air and basks in the attention we lavish upon her. Felony gets full run of the house at night, when she seems to be the most active.

Felony was diagnosed as having a brain tumor at the beginning of November, and her activity level dropped off significantly. I still took her on walks through the park, although she spent most of her time snuggled in a cozy sack with just her head poking out, sniffing in all the cool smells. By mid November Felony was listing to one side, and soon after could only walk in circles and would bump into things in the way. Felony still connected with us, and would give me kisses when I fed her or took her on walks, so we felt as long as she wanted to live, we would do whatever we could for her. On November 22 Felony stopped taking food from us, and was in a great deal of discomfort that night. The next day, November 23, I came home from work early and took Felony on a walk around our yard. She sniffed the air as the chickadees flew about us in the chilly, rainy autumn air. We talked about our life together, about other walks, about ferret outreach events that she loved to attend, and about the trips to my office at work where she delighted in hanging out on slow days. Felony lifted herself up and out from her cozy sack and kissed me. We went back inside our house to meet Elayne and the vet, where I held Felony as she took a drink of water. Elayne joined me and we both held our sweet little girl as she died.

Return to the weasels page.